Sunday 12 April 2009

Riyadh, Socks, & Dishcloths


Hi ya, sorry not been able to get online for a bit and been to Riyadh for a few days as well and didn’t take the laptop.

First off, we went for our first visit to Riyadh and stayed on a lovely compound (BAE) which is apparently going to be the blueprint of the one we’re moving to next year. A bit Strepford Wives but I’m not going to complain too much lol. There are mini pools jotted around the villas with a huge lagoon style pool for all to use. The compound we’re on at the moment is well established and has its own character so will certainly miss it along with the people. There are a multitude of nationalities on our current compound which has been wonderful for the kids to mix with all the children and me of course. On the new one we'll be more isolated with just the Brit/American mix I assume.

Went to the Kingdom Tower and almost had a fit when saw how high we were…hubby was a real scaredy cat and took an age before actually stepping out to have a look. The Sky Bridge is 99 floors high at 310 metres. Here is a link to the official website:
http://www.kingdomcentre.com.sa/

Must admit he wasn't the only scared one... a Saudi guy was petrified and he had to have his friend hold his hand the whole time, coaxing him to walk a few paces at a time.Doesn't look scary I hear you say, but believe me it was. I took this pic using a zoom lense.
On the way down in the lift which was super speedy 99 floors in 30 secs !!!, we witnessed the way saudi boys meet saudi girls... with 'Bluetooth'... the girls huddled together so the lift attendant didn't see them and the boys did the same. At a guess they swapped id's. The lift attendant did a great job of separating the boys from the family and girls and even refused to let the girls off the lift until he was sure the boys had gone... however, they hadn't gone too far and were sitting 'in wait' a few yards away. I'm sure they have a lot of fun getting to meet each other but the consequences must be pretty harsh if caught. I used to think how awful this culture was but being here you soon adjust and find it pretty normal after a while.

Went to have afternoon tea at Faisal Tower but was told they wern’t doing it except on the weekend which we had just missed so will have to go back again for this one. A real dissapointment but as I say will go back. The restaurant is in the globe at the top incase you were wondering.

Took some great pics of … camels ! Hundreds of them all in a caravan walking along a bridge with cars and lorries running thru underneath.. a great shot of pre & post modern Saudi.

SOCKSWell I have finished another pair but just not got round to taking a picture but when I do I will add it here. Its another alpaca select pattern using 4 ply alpaca mixed.

CROCHET DISHCLOTHS
mmm... why dishcloths I hear you ask... well I made (crocheted) my first one last year after thinking exactly the same and wanted to see what all the rave was about homemade cotton dishcloths. I havn't looked back since... they're far superior to the shop brands and last for ages... well they used to until the house helper got hold of them but they still last longer than the bought ones. I buy a ball at £1.99 and can make 3 out of a ball in about 40 mins ! I even made one for my MIL and even she prefers them and has knitted her own since.

No comments: