Saturday 18 April 2009

Rocket

Meet Rocket the... bird... not sure what he is apart from very lucky.On Thursday my noticed some baby birds hopping around on the floor outside our villa, in the gutter, and under our car. Four of them had decided that it was time to stretch and test their wings. Unfortunately 2 got carried off my cats and we lost sight of the other one but managed to get Rocket safely into the tree. We realised that he probably wouldn't make it as the cats were very excited by this time so we took him under our wing.. or rather my son's as I was quite happy to let nature take its course. He however, was not and wanted to find worms and crush them for Rocket. Dad and I explained he was too old for that and that he was ready to go solo and look after himself as soon as he'd rested and could get exercising his wings again.Long, short... he was safety put outside onto the balcony where he flapped and then fell asleep all night on the chair outside. In the morning he had gone so I guess he managed to get some help from an adult bird as they were around, and took the plunge and went wild. My son says he saw him sitting on the balcony and then fly off again a bit later so I hope that's the case. He believes that Rocket came back to say 'bye bye'... how sweet !I'm so glad it had a happy ending, I was worried as my adopted sparrows never survived and I was very upset.

No comments: