Friday 5 June 2009

Ravelry & Meeting with New Friends


Who would have thought that joining Ravelry would introduce you to new friends, not just on-line but in person ! Well that's just what did happen. One of the groups I joined had a lady 'K' who mentioned that she was about to visit her hubby working over here and wondered if anyone was in the area, and if so would we like to meet up. Well I jumped at the chance to meet a fellow knitter in person as these strange dinosaurs are so thin on the ground here (only got one significant other out here that knits) so thought it would be wonderful for us 3 to meet up.

I'm pleased or maybe 'ashamed' to say that I did no knitting during our visits, but 'K' did bring a stunning 'wedding ring pillow' with her to complete and we did let her do just a tad of knitting.

We had other things to do ... like visiting Desert Designs, Joffrey's for hazelnut coffee...and... cheesecake, lunch at 'J's' which was just fabulous with homemade 'sweet and sour chicken', 'sweet and sour veg', rice and homemade cheesecake. This was then topped with a little bit of 'Cherry Shisha' provided by 'J's' hubby. Now I had to give it a go but can't say that its 'all that' I'm afraid...it still had a taste of tobacco to me and I hate that but it smelled divine.
On another occassion we spent the morning pampering ourselves at the ladies centre with a manicure, pedicure and massage. Unfortunately we had planned on visiting the 'Latif Pastry' but we were too long in the ladies centre and prayer time came at 11.30am which meant everything closes down and won't re-open until 4pm. Luckily I'd mentioned my 'schwarma addiction' in front of my driver and he excited us by saying there was a place that opened after prayer time and sold them. So off we went for schwarma and 'freshly squeazed' juice...all for 13SR (approx £2.20)...oh how I'm going to miss them when we eventually return to the UK !

'K'... we had a lovely time and really would love to meet up again when you return for your next visit. Thank you for being such a lovely person and for the wonderful gifts you brought with you. Have a safe trip back to the US.

Ravelry...Thank you for such a wonderful site where it made it possible for us to meet.

Oh did I forget to mention the gifts ! Well they were just so lovely and such a wonderful generous gesture.

Here's my order (and gifts) which 'K' so kindly offered to purchase and bring with her on the visit:

No comments: