Wednesday 20 May 2009

School's Out ... Latif Pastry In


Right we're in for a long weekend... hubby has had 'saudi shuffle' for 5 days now but managed to go to work,... no school today Wednesday and do not return until Sunday. Was looking forward to a bit of a lie in this morning... not needed to get up at 6am for school. However kids were up and wanting to play x-box or something I didn't quite hear and just grunted 'mmm'. Should know that from experience this is not a good time to say 'mmm' to them. However, they were true to their word this time and just got on with playing the x-box and the school homework programme on the computer.

10am (feeling guilty now cos I didn't get up for the Schwinn class which was at 9.45-10.45) and got a phone call from my mate, 'J', on compound asking if we wanted to go to Latif Pastry for brunch. Okay I say and had to round kids up and all get ready within 30 mins to make sure we had enough time before prayer time at 11.30. Managed it fine with the obligatory 'why do we have to go', 'why can't I just go to the swimming pool' & 'I don't want to go humph humph..,' ect.,

Got in the cars and managed to get there with 2 kids still... just ... in between wanting to slap, kick out of the car and leave (oh that's another story in another country so won't go there... like to point out that however tempted I probably WOULD do this if pushed just tooooo farrr). Anyway I digress... managed to arrive amidst the wacky race drivers which seem to be everyone on the roads in Saudi and into the 'Family Section' of Latif's.

I hate 'Family Sections' ... they are putrid little hovels... well most are, mustn't generalise. Men's section, lovely and white and bright with windows and nice seats and tables... family section, puke yellow tables and chairs with NO WINDOWS(see pic).
'J' asked if it would be possible for the kids to go round and watch them making the breads which was okay by the baker. In Saudi most assistants, or shop people (head not working, can't think of a better .. is it verb or adjective...) are so genuinely friendly and helpful that I still find it amazing that they will almost agree to anything if they are able to accommodate your request. We went on round to the 'Men's Section' and proceeded to click away and video the kids baking the bread for our brunch. Oh how glad I was for this little diversion, it brightened up 'kid boy' no end and he had a cheerful dimeener all the way thru.
We went back into our designated area, 'puke yellow hovel' and awaited our lebnah/cheese bread, 2 cheese breads, cheese/zatar, my shakshokah (no idea what it was, but would have it again) & 5 cans of coke, all for 26 SR (£5 approx). Fabulous value and entertainment for a day (morning) off school.

Where in England would this have possibly happend without first booking and paying a large sum of money ?

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but this place is just great (as long as you're living a priviledged lifestyle I guess... but I am ... so I do).

No comments: