Tuesday 5 May 2009

Socks & Chit Chats

Finally a pair of socks I've not had to frog ! Knitted using Wendy Zig Zag, Cornucopia on 2.75m dpn's rather than 2.50m due to my tension being rather tight.

If you're wondering what all the bars are... well they're thick steel fencing all around the balcony just incase of a terrorist attack ! I think they're great for stopping the kids from jumping off the balcony and into the garden below, which is something I'm sure they would have thought of doing if the bars hadn't been there.

I can usually count on 'Wise Hilda's' socks to get me back on track although these did cause a bit of confusion. It might be me, but I had a problem after turning the sock inside out and working from the other side. When it came to working back on track after the heel, I omitted to re-turn the sock the right way round. It didn't say to turn it again in the pattern but it was an obvious move to get the sock correct and not look exactly like the basic ribbed pattern. I will do it again but make sure I turn inside/right side out at the correct point in the pattern so I at least get a pair of the 'reverse basic ribbed socks'.Had several deliveries this week. One being my 2 knitting subscriptions came thru, 'Knitting' and 'Simply Knitting', some beautiful wool (pics to be posted), and the fabulous Nicky Epstein's 'Knitting on top of the World'...beautiful book.

CHIT CHAT
On to Chit Chats... well these are tiny little gecko creature, also known as, Sand-eye, Whip-tail, Elegant and Israeli Sand Gecko and are between 3.5" to 4" long. The scientific bit: Stenodactylus sthenodactylus (Lichtenstein, 1823).These little gecko's live quite happily in the house where you'll find them on the ceilings and walls, however you only see them if its very quiet or they just scuttle so fast that you never even notice them. I think we've about 3 in the house but only see them on very rare occasions. I snapped this little one tonight, there were 2 of them but the other one scuttled as soon as I got the camera out.
Rather more exotic than the old english house spider to keep those flies at bay.

2 comments:

GerryART said...

Hi,I noticed a Nicky Epstein pattern in the recent issue of VOGUEkintting mag [spring/summer '09] this past month. Brought it to the attention of a friend who enjoys knitting in the round. And just now in my newest purchase, knit.l spring/summer'09 issue that her book is advertised full page and cover features the very pattern I found interesting. Gee I hope I don't need to buy 'knitting in Tuscany'. ;^D

Sj2b House of Books said...

That's my fear now I've got this one...the books are just beautiful to look at let alone make any of the projects. Its my first Epstein book and definitely thinking about getting another.